School camps and outings
Aim: To Develop Self-Confidence through Self Discovery in an Outdoor Environment.
Hobbiton aims to promote environmental, social awareness, cross cultural appreciation and the development of life and leadership skills through its facilities and the natural setting of our Centre.
We have more than 75 years of providing outstanding outdoor experiences and adventures to learners from all over the Eastern Cape and beyond.
Our experienced camp instructors will gladly design a School Programme for you. You could indicate which of our diverse activities you consider the most appropriate for your school camp and we will make it happen!
We also suggest you to do a site visit beforehand (or just go through our website and feel the energy and excitement!l
Our activities include:
- Abseiling from our 7m or 9m training towers.
- Ballistics (Pellet gun, Blow pipes, Catapult)
- Camping (Only if arranged beforehand)
- Climbing Wall Lateral
- Climbing Wall Vertical (9 m)
- Climbing Wall Overhang (9 m)
- Compass Course
- Evening activities in the Recreation Hall
- Games during Free Time (Volley Ball; Soccer; Rugby; etc.)
- Group Dynamics
- Jacob’s Ladder (9 m)
- King Swing
- Log Challenge
- Night Hikes
- Orienteering Courses
- Paintball based challenges (Only if arranged beforehand: Conditions apply)
- Rafting Building (Flat water)
- Ropes Course Low (< meter above ground)
- Ropes Course Middle (+/ – 1.5 m above ground) especially designed for Team Building
- Ropes Course High (10 m) especially designed for Personal Development
- Trapeze (7 m above ground level)
- 100 m Zip Wire
Accommodation is in spacious dormitories with separate rooms for the supervisors or teachers. You will be allocated dormitories according to the number of children in your group. Therefore if you book 60 people and only occupy one dormitory, you will not be able to use the other dormitories teacher’s rooms unless prior arrangements were made and we do not have another group booked in.
Hobbiton does not encourage mixed gender sleeping quarters.
Each bed has a mattress. Bring your own bedding. Extra bedding can hired if previously arranged.
We can cater for you
Hobbiton can fulfil your catering requirements with one of three different priced menus. Special dietary needs can be catered for, but advanced warning of at least 5 days is needed.
The catered option is calculated on a Supper, Breakfast, Lunch and 3 teas basis. This is R242 / person / day. Extra meals are charged at R95 / person / meal. Specific dietary needs will be catered for, but please advise in advance. Full catering payment must be made 2 weeks in advance.
Our kitchens are fully equipped with all that you would need for self-catering, including cutlery and crockery. Toilet paper, dishwashing liquid and rubbish bags are your responsibility if you choose this option.
Domestic help can be hired @R350/lady/ weekend. R22 per hour after hours if you opt for the self-catering option over the weekends. (The hiring of 2 ladies for the kitchen are recommended when self catering).
Multi purpose hall
Hobbiton has a big multi purpose hall with a stage, which can be used for concerts as well as indoor activities when it is raining. It is also equipped with a King swing and climbing wall.
Dining / Conferencing Room
Our dining room can double up as a conferencing room and is equipped with chalk writing and white boards.
Break away rooms
We have a board room and other break away rooms that can be used on request
- Accommodation: R158 / person / night
- Catering: R242 / person / night
This price is calculated on a Supper, Breakfast, Lunch and 3 teas. Extra meals are charged at R85 / person / meal.
- Corporate Rate: R 300 / Person / Day and R 150 / Person for ½ day
- Day bookings: R500 deposit / organization and R30 / person with R 30 or R50 / activity
- Hobbiton Walking Sticks: R 50 per stick. Please ask the children to bring the right amount of cash as getting change in Hogsback is difficult.
- Domestic help is available @ R350 / lady / weekend and R22 per hour after hours if you opt for the self-catering option over the weekends. (The hiring 2 ladies for the kitchen are recommended).
- The use of the designated facilities
- The costs for standard bookings include Instructors for all of the activities, safety equipment and facilitation.
- 2 months prior to arrival 100% refund, 1 month prior to arrival 50%, Less than 30 days no refund.
- NO ALCOHOL IS ALLOWED ON HOBBITON PREMISES.
- No loud noise after 21:00
- We have a hall but we do not have any chairs or tables in the hall
Check in time is from 13:00pm till 17:00pm. Late checking will be charged unless prior arrangements were made with management. Check out time is 11:00 am on day of departure. That means that you will not be able to use the kitchen or dorms after 11:00. We charge extra if you leave after 11:00am.
- The discipline of the participants after the evening’s activities and before activities the next day, as well as during mealtimes is the organizing authority’s responsibility. (e.g. Teachers are responsible overnight for the children’s behavior).
- Participants might want to bring a journal for a Reflection Time in the evenings.