Church Camps and retreats
Aim: To experience God’s love and creation in the natural outdoor environment of forests and waterfalls
Hobbiton aims to promote environmental and social awareness, and develop life and leadership skills through its facilities and in the natural setting of our centre.
We have more than 75 years’ experience of providing outstanding outdoor activities and adventures to churches from all over the Eastern Cape and beyond.
Our facilities lend themselves to both larger and smaller church camp groups. We have a hall and breakout rooms for gatherings, dormitories for groups who require accommodation and, if you do not want to worry about catering, we offer meals and refreshment options as well.
Come and refresh your spirit and soul in a serene forest destination with world-class outdoor facilities, waterfalls and forest walks.
Our church camp option allows you the freedom to design your own choice of activities. Our instructors will assist you to choose activities to enhance your camp theme.
Our activities include:
- Abseiling (7m or 9m training towers)
- Ballistics (pellet gun, blowpipes, catapult, bow and arrow)
- Camping (only if arranged beforehand)
- Climbing wall – lateral
- Climbing wall – vertical (9m)
- Climbing wall – overhang (9m)
- Compass course
- Evening activities in recreation hall
- Games during free time (volleyball, soccer, rugby, etc)
- Group dynamics
- Jacob’s Ladder (9m high)
- King Swing
- Log challenge
- Night hikes
- Paintball challenges (only if arranged beforehand; conditions apply)
- Raft building (flatwater)
- Ropes course – low (<1m above ground)
- Ropes course – middle (+/–1.5m above ground) especially designed for team building
- Ropes course – high (10m above ground) especially designed for personal development
- Sky frame (9m)
- Trapeze (7m above ground)
- Zipwire (100m in length)
Accommodation is in spacious dormitories with separate rooms for camp leaders and facilitators. You are allocated dormitories according to the size of your group. Only those facilitator rooms attached to your allocated dormitory may be used. Other facilitator rooms may be used by prior arrangement only, and only if no other group has booked them.
Hobbiton does not encourage mixed-gender sleeping quarters.
Please bring your own bedding. Each bed has a mattress. Extra bedding can be hired if arranged in advance.
Let us cater for you
Hobbiton kitchens are fully equipped for any catering needs, including all cutlery and crockery.
We offer three, differently priced menus.
The catered option is calculated on a supper, breakfast, lunch and three teas basis. The charge is R242/person/day. Extra meals are charged at R95/ person/meal.
Special dietary needs can be catered for, but advance warning of at least five days is needed.
Full payment for catering must be made two weeks in advance.
Our kitchens are fully equipped with all that you need for self-catering, including cutlery and crockery.
If you choose the self-catering option you may still make use of our catering facilities, including cutlery and crockery. However, toilet paper, dishwashing liquid and rubbish bags will be your own responsibility.
Domestic help can be hired @ R350/helper/day with an additional charge of R22/hr for self-catering groups during the weekend. (The hiring of two helpers for the kitchen is recommended for self-caterers.)
Hobbiton has a large multi-purpose hall with a stage, which can be used for conferences and functions as well as indoor activities during bad weather. It is also equipped with a King Swing and climbing wall. Chairs, tables and other conference equipment are not included.
Our dining room can double up as a conference room and is equipped with chalk- and whiteboards.
We have a variety of breakaway rooms that can be used on request.
- Accommodation: R158/person/night
- Catering: R242/person/day
The catered option is calculated on a supper, breakfast, lunch and three teas basis. Extra meals are charged at R95/ person/meal.
- Day bookings: R500 non-refundable booking fee/organisation plus R30/person plus R30 or R50/activity
- Hobbiton walking sticks: R50 per stick. Please bring the right amount of cash as finding change in Hogsback is difficult. Sticks with corporate branding can be ordered in advance.
- Self-catering: Domestic help can be hired @R350/helper/day with an additional charge of R22/hr for self-catering groups during the weekend. (The hiring of two helpers for the kitchen is recommended.)
These amounts are inclusive of:
- The use of designated facilities
- Instructors for all of the activities, safety equipment and facilitation (for standard bookings)
- Two months prior to arrival: 100% refund
- One month prior to arrival: 50%
- Less than 30 days: no refund
- NO ALCOHOL ALLOWED ON HOBBITON PREMISES
- No loud noise after 21:00
- Check-in is from 13:00 till 17:00. Late check-ins will be charged extra unless prior arrangements are made with management.
- Check-out is 11:00. The kitchen and accommodation facilities may not be used after 11:00. Late check-outs will be charged extra.
- The organisers/facilitators/teachers are responsible for the conduct of participants from the end of the evening’s activities until the start of the next day’s activities, as well as during all mealtimes.
- Participants may want to bring a journal for evening reflection time.